Weatherize Your Home


The Town has partnered with the Truckee Donner Public Utility District (TDPUD) to expand existing rebates for home weatherization to ALL TDPUD customers, regardless of heating source. Read on to learn about weatherization and how you can claim rebates!

What is weatherization?  

Weatherization means implementing measures that make a building envelope more energy efficient. This includes sealing cracks around windows, doors and fireplaces and other spaces where air can find a pathway from outside to inside. Measures like weather stripping, caulking, insulating, and properly sealing ductwork can help accomplish this. 

Why weatherize? 

Reduce Energy Bills: when your home is not properly weatherized, heat can escape through cracks and cause your heating system to work harder to compensate. This translates to wasted money on energy bills. Properly weatherizing your home could save you up to 30% on energy bills. Most homes are not properly weatherized.  

Keep Smoke Out of Your Home: This year, Truckee experienced hazardous levels of smoke for the third year in a row. Wildfire smoke is detrimental to cardiovascular and respiratory health, and some researchers have compared it to smoking a couple of packs of cigarette a day, depending on the smoke intensity. With the increasing prevalence and intensity of wildfire smoke in the Truckee region, it is more important than ever to protect your home’s air quality. Pairing weatherization measures with use of an air purifier will ensure that your home air stays pure.  

Do I quality for FREE weatherization improvements?  

Southwest Gas’s Energy Assistance Program offers free, money-saving home improvements to increase home energy efficiency, including caulking, insulation, weatherstripping, ductwork repairs, and window repairs. Residents may either income-qualify, or qualify through participation in any of the following programs:  

  • Medicaid/Medi-Cal or Medi-Cal for Families A&B 
  • Supplemental Security Income 
  • CalFresh/SNAP (Food stamps) 
  • Head Start Income Eligible (tribal only) 
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance 
  • Woman, Infants and Children (WIC) 
  • National School Lunch Program (NSLP) 
  • Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) 
  • CalWORKS (TANF) or Tribal TANF 

If you are interested, please contact Richard Heath and Associates (RHA) at 866-812-5766 or visit this page

How do I weatherize?  

The first step is to test for leakage. This can be done with a professional HERs rater or BPI specialist, who will conduct a blower door test to determine how leaky your home is. They can also perform tests on your ducts to identify duct leakages. Your specialist can then provide you with recommendations for how to weatherize. Please note, you will need to test again after completing weatherization improvements to determine the effectiveness of the measures and to qualify for rebates. Though the Town does not endorse or recommend specific contractors, a list of HERs raters serving the area is provided below:  

Capital Rating & Documentation Services, Inc. dba Highland Energy Solutions (916) 515-6391  
CAL HERS Energy Solutions (682) 232-5040 
Bender Engineering and Construction (530) 582-5578 

Liberty Utilities and the the TDPUD also offer free, basic energy audits that assess your home’s energy efficiency potential more broadly. These will not specifically test your home’s leakage, but they are a useful (and free) starting point. If you want to get started on your own, you can check out TDPUDs DIY home energy audit guide.

If you prefer to DIY, there are many online resources available for cheap, simple ways to test and weatherize your home. Check out these tips to get started. If you test with a professional but complete the weatherization improvements on your own, make sure to keep your materials receipts to claim your rebates!

What rebates are available?  

Below are the rebate amounts currently available through the TDPUD.

Measure NameRebate Amount
Building Envelope Air Leak Test 
Central System Duct Leakage Test 
Building Envelope Air Leakage Mitigation 
50% up to $250 
Central Air Distribution System Duct Mitigation 50% up to $250 
Efficient Windows 
$2 per sq. ft.  
Air purifier  $50 for 150 CADR + 

Got questions? 

We are happy to answer your questions about this process. Please contact Sara Sherburne, Sustainability Program Analyst at the Town of Truckee at or call (530)582-5329.  

Email signup

If you would like to stay up-to-date on Truckee's sustainability efforts or sign up for trash and recycling pick up day reminders, submit your info here!