Accessories Upon Request

Single-use accessory foodware items should only be provided upon a customer’s request

EFFECTIVE: January 1, 2024

WHO IT APPLIES TO: restaurants, food service establishments, coffee shops, bakeries, bars, including third-party delivery platforms and drive-thrus

  • Accessory foodware items include disposable utensils, chopsticks, condiment cups and packets, straws, stirrers, napkins, splash sticks, cup lids, and cup sleeves
  • Self-service stations for accessory foodware is allowed


Vista preguntas frecuentes en español

  1. What foodware items can only be provide upon request?
    State law AB 1276 (effective January 1, 2022) requires utensils, chopsticks, condiment cups and packets, straws, stirrers, splash sticks, and cocktail sticks to only be provided upon request. Town of Truckee’s Single-Use Foodware Reduction Ordinance further requires that napkins, cup lids, and cup sleeves also only be provided upon request, effective January 1, 2024.

  2. How must a customer request an accessory foodware item?
    Businesses cannot simply provide accessory foodware items to a customer unless a staff person asks and receives a confirmation, if a customer requests an item, or if a customer grabs the items themselves from a bulk dispenser of self-serve station.

  3. What assistance is available?
    Businesses can apply for up to $500 in funding to reimburse purchases of accessory foodware bulk dispensers, including for condiments, napkins, or utensils. Signage will also be available for businesses to post to remind customers that they must request accessory foodware items and that will no longer be provided. Grant programs and signage will be available in 2023.

Email signup

If you would like to stay up-to-date on Truckee's sustainability efforts or sign up for trash and recycling pick up day reminders, submit your info here!